Monday, October 24, 2022

Music for Monday (or on whichever day you're playing this): The Demensions, Al Cernik, Clyde Stacy and the Nitecaps, Les Brown, more!

 


The Sheila Southern Burt Bacharach Songbook will be ready to go any time now--It's just that the LP needed a cleaning and some declicking, as it's not in the pristine condition that I falsely remembered.  Memories will do that sometimes (fool us, I mean).  The Southern LP, a UK import that ended up on SPC's Ambassador label over here in the U.S., is outstanding and I know that you Burt fans will love it.  The sound is quite good for SPC, I'm happy to say.

In the meanwhile, fourteen interesting tracks for our Monday (or whichever day you're dropping by), including three Burt tracks while we wait: Eydie Gorme with What Am I Doing Here?. Sue Raney with (There's) Always Something There to Remind Me, and Dusty Springfield with her 1967 rendition of They Long to be Close to You, three years before the Carpenters' monster-hit version.  Dusty's interpretation is interesting, and it's preferable (imo) to Richard Chamberlain's 1963 recording!  

And, four years before Bill Haley covered the song, we have Les Brown (vocal by Jo-Anne Greer) with a surprisingly rock and roll-ish Forty Cups of Coffee, from 1953.  We continue the show with Hoy Hoy--fine 1957 rockabilly by Clyde Stacy and the Nitecaps (50 cents at Half Price Books)--and its rather odd flip side, Too Young.  And the Demensions (sorry, spell-checker) with 1960's Nursery Rhime.  (Dunno what's up with either spelling.)  Smooth, mellow doowop (Dreaming) is next up, courtesy of the Five Stars on the Hunt label.  Then, an item surely high on anybody's want list: a dance instruction version of Get Back on the Statler Records sublabel Avant Records, from... I don't know.  1970?  Thereabouts.  

The outstanding 1957 Chuck Lovett fake-hit rendering of Short Fat Fannie comes from a The Nation's 12 Big Hit Recordings LP (that series which always sported the same two-older-looking-teens-in-front-of-the-45-rpm-phonograph pic), which has much cleaner sound than my 45 rpm EP editions.  Meanwhile, a before-he-was-Guy-Mitchell Al Cernik croons The Love Nest on a 1948 MGM 78 that doesn't show up in the blog history and therefore must be a first appearance.  (That's solid logic for you.)  And even in a playlist as quirky as this one, 1953's World Events must rate as an outlier--basically, it's an easy listening arrangement of the theme music for Movietone News newreels, which were before my time (or my memory, at least), but the side is memorably weird and quite cool, so... here it is, straight from a vinyl 78 on the Oroco Records label.  Discogs reports that Larry Cotton owned that label, in case you were wondering.

How to explain "The Homestead" and its recording of the Star Wars theme?  Well, "The Homestead" was a catch-all group name for the 1977 fake-hits LP, Today's Pop Hits, on Homestead Records.  I recently thrifted one half of this two-record set, and I was expecting a straight imitation of the movie theme, though what we get is a slowed down imitation of the Meco Disco-version atrocity, a huge hit which (back in the day) caused me to like John Williams' theme even less than I already did.  Never a fan of that movie's music--or, for that matter, the movie.  So, don't ask me what I think of Star Wars.  (Oh, wait--I just told you.)

Not your usual playlist, but this is Music You (Possibly) Won't Hear Anyplace Else, so all systems normal!


DOWNLOAD: Music for Monday, 10/24/2022


Hoy Hoy--Clyde Stacy and the Nitecaps, 1957

So Young--Same

Forty Cups of Coffee--Les Brown and His Band of Renown, V: Jo-Anne Greer, 1953

Nursery Rhime Rock--The Demensions, 1960

Dreaming--Five Stars, 1958

Get Back--Unknown Artist (Avant Records 2100)

Short Fat Fannie--Chuck Lovett With Herbie Layne's Orch., 1957

Peter Gunn--Ted Nash, Conductor (Crown CLP 5101; 1959)

The Love Nest--Al Cernik (Guy Mitchell) With Buddy Kaye Quintet and the Tune Timers, 1948

World Events--Warren Baker and "The Baker's Dozen," 1953

They Long to Be Close to You--Dusty Springfield, 1967

(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me--Sue Raney, 1966

Star Wars--The Homestead, 1977

What Am I Doing Here? (Bacharach-David)--Eydie Gorme, 1968.



Lee

17 comments:

Buster said...

Thanks for the Sue Raney record, which I don't think I've heard. Years ago I posted her version of "Knowing When to Leave," which is outstanding.

I do like Jo Ann Greer and am preparing a post of her records. I have the Ella Mae Morse version of this song, which is great. I think both versions were cover records.

I think I have that Peter Gunn record, but I never noticed that it was conducted by Ted Nash, who was a busy studio musician

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Small world--Discogs said Nash was best known for his association with Les Brown. And I'm pretty sure his "Peter Gunn" is the version which showed up in stereo on that Tiara boxed set I posted in April. At the time, I thought all of those tracks were stereo mixes of SPC fakes, but since then I've had to backtrack on some of them. (So much trading of tapes happened between the cheap label groups.) Love Raney, but I haven't heard her "Knowing When to Leave" rendition. And I can just imagine the job Morse did with "Forty Cups." Funny thing is that for years I was sure Les Brown had done a pop cover of the 1957 Haley record. Not.

Buster said...

Lee - A link to the Raney collection. I did this in 2011, so no guarantees about the sound quality!

https://mega.nz/#!TYUVFLDb!ShiMHe8yeabAynD-vlNirpCC-lo7gp9wMbMwXHxo2ek

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks, Buster!

lafong said...

Lee..You are hitting on all cylinders today with Greer, Raney, Stacy, and The Demensions.


Is that Demensions the same Demensions that did the great group sound version of "Don't Take Your Love From Me"?? I think so, but not at all sure.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

lafong,

Yes, according to Discogs--same group! Glad you enjoyed!

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee. I'm late to the party, but it's all good stuff here. Love these eclectic playlists.

Ravel said...

I love those surprises !
There is always something there to remind me... no, I meant, there is always something new to discover !
Thanks for this !

Diane said...

Saw some Peter Gunn notes in previous comment, so I guess that negates my request for info on Gunn. But I love all of that "crime jazz" stuff. So, more please!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks, everyone--I appreciate the kind words. And I was definitely trying for eclectic this time. More "crime jazz"? Certainly!

musicman1979 said...

First off, Happy belated Veterans Day and happy Thanksgiving weekend! I have been so busy with other projects that I have not had the time to check out and listen to some of your recent posts. Fortunately for me, you posted a couple of tunes in this playlist that I have in my own collection.

Having not listened to the Les Brown cut in quite a while, I was surprised at how rocking "Forty Cups of Coffee" really is! There are only a couple of moments where the "Classic" Les Brown sound comes through, but overall a surprisingly different musical change from him. My favorites from that album are "How About You", which is Big Band pop at its finest, and "Flip Lid", which briefly samples "Leap Frog", Les' theme song.

Excellent Eydie Gorme Bacharach cut! She is at her torch song finest here, ranking alongside her work on the classic Don't Go To Strangers and Softly AS I Leave You albums. Is Perito, Matz, or Costa the arranger? whoever it is, they did a great arrangement on this selection.

I thought the Homestead was aping the Charles Randolph Grean Ranwood single, which is more disco-y than this version.In some places, this has got the flavor of some of what Ray Conniff was doing over at Columbia during the same time period. This would have been a good cover, yet the special effects kind of ruin it for me in my book.

I do have the Dusty Springfield Close To You in my collection, on her classic Look of Love album. This is classic mid-'60's Dusty, and one of my favorite cover versions of this tune, one that should have been a hit in my book. Like the slightly different vocal inflections by Dusty on this, to make it unique. My favorite cover version is done by Andy Williams on his Andy Williams Show and Impossible Dream albums.'

The pre-Guy Mitchell Al Cernick cut is a great surprise; one of the best versions of the old Burns and Allen theme. The vocal chorus sounds as if the are aping such Frank Sinatra and Pied Pipers classics as "There Are Such Things" and "I'll Never Smile Again." That could be Tony Mottola playing the guitar solo. Guy's singing on this brings to mind some of the early Vic Damone records. if it hasn't already, this deserves a visit to Shellac City.

I wasn't sure about the Short Fan Fannie soundalike, yet it was much better than I thought it would be. "Chuck Lovett" does a really good job aping Little Richard's vocal style, plus there is a great saxophone solo on this! The more I listen to this, the more I start to like it. Hopefully, the rest of the cuts on this album will make an appearance here.

"Always Something There to Remind Me" is a great cover! Musically, it has the flavor of a late-'60's Engelbert Humperdinck selection. I forgot how good of a singer Sue Raney was! These '60's versions are WAY better than the hit-mid-'80's cover version by Naked Eyes.

The Peter Gunn cover is really good! Ted Nash also played with Les Brown and Frank Sinatra. I bought a Crown Henry Mancini Favorites cover, and this, alas was not one of the filler cuts included on this disc ("Sticking with Moon River, Days of Wine and Roses, and Dear Heart, in an aping of the Andy Wiliams style. If Ted Nash is doing the saxophone solo, he did a good job of aping Dick Stabile's schmaltzy style on the early Dean Martin Capitol 45s.

finally, great version of Get Back! This is how Billy Vaughn probably would have recorded the tune, if there was a lot more production gloss to it. My Hit Records soundalike cover that I have on my Now Generation LP is just as good.

Looking to devour into some Sheila Southern Bacharach and to posting more comments on here in the near future.


Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

Thanks for your review! I want to respond to some of your observations, but when I have more time--at the moment, I'm trying to get my first Christmas post finished. It's ripped and ready to go, but I'm sure people will want label and cover scans...

musicman1979 said...

Thanks for uploading Guy on YouTube!! That was fast!!

Sheila Southern is really good--at times she sounds like a cross between Marilyn Maye and Debbie Reynolds.

musicman1979 said...

If you are planning a post on Various Christmas tunes from several sources, a good one that you could feature from the Les Brown LP is You Forgot Your Gloves, even though the title could refer to either Winter or a guy and a gal going out for a big night on the town. I listened to it last night and it is pretty good, complete with a George Shearing Quintet-styled riff in the middle of the number.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

musicman1979,

Thaks for the suggestion! I'll probably do that...

musicman1979 said...

You're welcome. Another non-seasonal cut to feature in the future is "Let It Be" to prove to listeners that there was another song with the same title before the Beatles came up with their better-remembered song of the same name.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Sort of like the 1926 "Yesterday" by Charlie Harrison and Monte Wilhite. I also have a sheet music copy of a "Here Comes the Sun" from (I think) the 1930s.