Monday, November 30, 2020

Christmas shellac from 2018



The terrific image above is the work of Jeff--quite a classy job.  A gift to this blog.

This is a repeat post of 78s I ripped in 2018.  They're all in my old (i.e,) low bitrates, but... they're 78s.  I featured these last year, too, in a seven-file post, but minus a playlist.  This time, I'm listing the titles. That way, you know what you're in for.  Here are parts 1 and 2.













The Messiah--Hallelujah Chorus (Handel)--Royal Choral Society and London Philharmonic Orch., c. Malcolm Sargent (Victor Red Seal 11825; 1935)
The Messiah--And the Glory of the Lord (Handel)--Same
Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful)--John McCormack and Trinity Choir (Victor Red Seal 6607; 1926)
The Star of Bethlehem (Adams)--Richard Crooks, Tenor, Orch. c. by John Barbirolli (Victor Red Seal 7854; 1934)
The Holy City (Adams)--Same
Ave Maria (Schubert)--Robert Stephens at the Grand Organ (Varsity 576)



Messiah--Hallelujah Chorus (Handel)--Mark Andrews, Pipe Organ Solo  (Victor 35767; 1925)
On a Christmas Morning--Descriptive (Currie)--Prince's Orch. (Columbia A-1078; 1911)
Kiddies' Patrol (Christmas Morning)--Kiddies' Dance (C. Morning)--Brunswick Concert Band (Brunswick 2054; 1920)
Santa Claus' Workshop--Yuletide Orch. (Prince's Orch.)--(Harmony 276; 1910)
Vom Himmel hoch (Luther)--Cornet Quartet w. Organ and Bells--Nowegian (Victor 69682)
Children's Toy March (Currie)--Prince's Band (Columbia A1295; 1912)
Around the Christmas Tree--Descriptive (Prince)--Prince's Orch. (Columbia A1416; 1913)
Santa Claus Tells of Mother Goose Land--Pts. I and II--Gilbert Gerard (Victor 18953; 1922)
Jingle Bells--Shannon Quartet (Victor 19791; 1925)
Snow Time (Arndt)--Columbia Quartette (Columbia A1088; 1911)
Silent Night, Holy Night--Christmas Melodies (A: Challis; Grofe) Paul Whiteman Concert Orch. (Columbia 50098; 1928)
Children's Symphony (Haydn)--Prince's Orchestra (Columbia A1295; 1913)
Memories of Christmas--Pts. 1 and 2 (Bowers)--Prince's Orch. w. Contralto Solo and Male Quartette (Columbia A2646; 1918)
Angelus (Massenet)--Mark Andres, Pipe Organ Solo (Victor 35767; 1925)
Christmas Time in Merrie England, Pts. 1 and 2--Regimental Band of H.M. Grenadier Units, (Columbia U.K. 3184; 1922)



Lee

3 comments:

Ernie said...

Classic stuff! Thanks, Lee!

Diane said...

Such great graphics! Love the Lee Christmas logo, and those Paul whiteman caricatures. Brightened up my morning to see them. Thanks for cleaning up and posting the art as well as the music.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

Sure! I had these up last year, but simply as links. I figured that adding info and images would have a more persuasive impact, downloading-wise. Or whatever I just typed. (I'm semi-doped today. We got our first taste of winter--i.e., snow--and the humidity must be sky-high.)

Diane,

Thank you. And I hope I still have Jeff's email, so that I at least know who he is (beyond "Jeff"). I have another visitor who also sends awesome visuals, including the one in my blog header. This was kind of a panic post, because I couldn't find my CD-R with the original mp3s, which meant I had to copy the data from the tracks as they played on my RealPlayer. Luckily, I have three CD-Rs of stored images, so I was able to whip up those label scans on the spot. And I had Jeff's wonderful visual from last year. I guess 78s remain my favorite recording medium of all. I can still feel the thrill of first discovering the things as a kid. The magic (unlike the labels) has never faded.