Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Priceless information on "He Will Set Your Fields on Fire"

 



Last month, reader Gary kindly sent me this scan of He Will Set Your Fields on Fire.  It is copyrighted 1925, as is the book containing it (Winning Praise, The Sebren Music Co., Asheville NC).  

Then, today, reader Leah--the great granddaughter of Homer Ballew (lyricist H.M. Ballew) left this comment at my Dec. 30, 2018 Fields on Fire-athon post:

"Hello, My name is Leah Stewart, daughter of Leta(Ballew)Stewart and great grandaughter of the late Homer Ballew. According to my 94 yr old grandpa Charles L Ballew who is sitting her next to me...His father Homer Ballew wrote the song he 'will set your fields on fire' when he was a young boy in the late 20's."

Huge thanks to Leah for providing this priceless information.  I asked her for a little more information, mainly to clarify that Homer was the lyricist (i.e., that he had no hand in the tune--just checking to be sure, as I don't place absolute faith in songbook credit order), but whether I hear back or not, a billion thanks for Leah's comment, which I didn't answer immediately, as I wanted to have all the relevant data on hand first.  This is the sort of feedback and handle on history which makes blogging a joy.

I am fully convinced 1925 is the correct year for this number, and I've been wondering for years when this first appeared.  A zillion thanks to Gary, as well, for providing these scans.

Sometimes, the internet is a pure miracle.  This has totally blown my mind!  Finally--the year and credits for this gospel masterpiece established. 


Lee

4 comments:

Ernie said...

The internet is a wonderful place sometimes. :)

rntcj said...

Hi!

If interested in this kind of music history, & you may know this site already, check out:

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/

The subtitle says it all & they might be interested in the info. you're sharing here.

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Lee Hartsfeld said...

mtcj,

Thanks for the link--interesting blog. But "Fields on Fire" is white county/bluegrass gospel--I'm not sure it would fit into the blog's theme. But thanks for the suggestion!

rntcj said...

Hi!

Apologies. OK, "stereotyped" a bit... Saw 1920's era Gospel & y'know, eh?! But website does have some interesting music, etc. discussions & discuss very "current" events too.

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj