Monday, January 04, 2021

SPC, Pickwick, and Spear Records Christmas!--Sing a Kris Kringle Jingle, Sleigh Ride, Mixie Pixie, Love Is Strange

 


Let's pretend we're living in the days before England's Calendar Act of 1750, in which case Christmas would be three days from now, on the 7th. And let's further pretend that the internet was invented more than 250 years ahead of time.  So, we have the internet, and the Julian calendar is still valid, so... we're good to go.

This time, more kiddie stuff, some of it performed by kiddies, including three Pickwick tracks which appeared on both Playhour Records (in mono) and on this two-record set (in stereo):

The Joyous Season was a Pickwick special, by which I mean it was Pickwick at its... Pickwick-est.  Not only are there no artist credits to be found, there isn't even a label name--that is, unless The Joyous Season was supposed to pull double duty as both the set title and the label name.  With Pickwick, any act of cheapness is possible.  By the way, my copy made it to Goodwill with only one record in the fold-out packet, so I guess I could call mine The Semi-Joyous Season.  Miraculously, the single, sleeveless record is in like-new condition.  Except for the missing record, someone took good care of this.  (Maybe they never played it.)

Anyway, we get stereo versions of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Up on the Housetop, and--especially for Bryan--The Twelve Days of Christmas.  All appeared on Pickwick's Playhour label in mono mixes, and I've included the mono mix of The Twelve Days.  What's cool about this is the novelty of hearing a Pickwick children's track in actual stereo, and you can hear how the mono mix gives the voices a more strident quality.  If Pickwick had never issued The Joyous Season, we might never have had the chance to hear any of the group's kiddie efforts in stereo, so... this is cool.  It rocks my world, anyway.  My therapist told me, "Whatever excites you--so long as it's legal."


Next, Spear Records, which Discogs tells us was connected to Spear Products.  Going to Spear Products, we learn that Spear Products was connected to Spear Records.  Going to Spear Records, we learn that Spear Records was connected to Spear Products.  So, going to Spear Products, we... (Somebody stop me... Help!!)  Whew.  And, so, we--or, at least, I--know zilch about Spear Records, except that it was a very, very cheap operation which managed to convince some talented folks to record for it, which only goes to show that there are more talented people than labels to feature them.  Something like that.  The Spear sides are fun and short.  Their 45s were co-released with six-inch 78s in the manner of Golden Records.  Which was connected with Golden Products, which was connected with Golden Records, which was connected with... just kidding.

Spear's choral direction was by Hugh E. Perette, who also recorded for Mayfair and Mercury.  One of his Mayfair sides was Kiddie Konga, on which he backed June Winters (left), who was married to Hugo Peretti, one of the writers of Elvis' Can't Help Falling in Love.  What stories these cheap labels tell.

Then, Laura Leslie--who recorded Baby, It's Cold Outside with Don Cornell on RCA Victor--somehow finds herself at SPC (Synthetic Plastics Co.), recording charming but poorly pressed Peter Pan Records sides like Sleigh Ride, which I really love in this version.  Actually, I love it in any version.  I'll have to jump down so I can combine the label image with text.  Here I go.

What a cool pic label.  And someplace, buried or tucked away in all my stuff, is the cool pic sleeve for this side.  I'll have to swipe the Discogs image and see if I can coax over here, on this side. 

Well, I almost did it.  There it is, directly below.  Note the cruder but fun "period" art.  Then, one of my all-time favorite low-budget kiddie holiday sides, Sing a Kris Kringle Jingle, written by none other than J. Fred (Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town) Coots.  According to the seven-inch Peter Pan 78 I ripped, the singer is Bobby Stewart.  According to the 45 rpm edition, the singer (who gets one or two short solo spots) is Gabe Drake.  I'm going with Drake, because it's clearly the same guy who did the Prom fake-hit version of Rock Around the Clock--the best of the RATC fakes--though this assumes he was actually named Gabe Drake.
Next, La Dee Dah and Love Is Strange.  And what are these two numbers doing in a holiday playlist?
Simple--they were both issued by SPC with Christmas art on the labels.  I have no idea why.  Logic would suggest that SPC simply screwed up, or... that it ran out of regular labels and decided to use a stack of leftover Christmas-themed labels (waste not, want not).  As I'm always saying, the cheapie labels saved money on quality control by not having any.  Very clever strategy.  See labels below.

On Peter Pan, Gabby Dixon and the Crickets (pre-Buddy Holly?) give us When Santa Claus Gets Your Letter, a fairly well known song by Johnny (Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer) Marks.  And I guess I figured that Pickwick had trademarked "Crickets" and all variations thereof (Cricketones, etc.), but I'm looking for order in the cheap-label world, and I already know there's none to be found...



And here are four later (post-1950s) SPC efforts, from an EP whose sleeve art makes me cringe.  I don't know why.  Rudolph is supposed to look cute, but... I don't know.  Something's wrong with the art.  For one thing, he doesn't look like a reindeer.  Maybe that's it.  And did I say post-1950?  Yes, except for the same ol' Johnny Kay version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, which likely showed up in so many different issues, someone could write a book about it.  Or at least a long chapter in Johnny Kay--a Discography. Kay was the SPC singer with Perry Como's voice but not his looks--he looked more like Johnny Desmond, but with less sex appeal.  Not knocking his looks--Kay had nothing to worry about in that department, but we all know that singing stars need more than excellent pipes if they're going to make it big.  Oh, and Rudolph's Christmas Party may not set new standards for terribleness, but then again... Other than Kay (who, of course, is not credited), the artists on Rudolph are the usual unknown kid singers.  We have to wonder if there was a special musician's union for uncredited artists.  

Then, we hear what I regard as the second-best recording of Carol of the Drum, under its much better known stolen title (not quite sure how to put that), The Little Drummer Boy.  This is allegedly by the Peter Pan Caroleers, but this sounds very recorded-in-Europe, and the choir is simply too good to be Peter Pan regulars.  Otherwise, I can't figure how such a superb rendition would end up on the cheapest of the kiddie labels.  It has a fairly cool picture sleeve.  Well, actually, it's not very good, really...



The rest of our tracks are Pickwick specials, including the mono Playhour label rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas, plus the fun, toss-away Mixie Pixie.  The echo-drenched Carol of the Bells is well done--perhaps too well done for Pickwick, a la The Little Drummer Boy for SPC--and I think it's important to annually post at least one recording of this great number done correctly.  Namely, in its original version with its wonderful counterpoint and its slow, dramatic crescendo.  (We also hear it earlier in the playlist as Ring Christmas Bells.) I suspect the most famous rendition of Bells is that bit of mindless, noisy repetition by a group I'd love to have banned from all thrift store PA speakers during Christmas.  Done stupidly, Carol of the Bells is nothing but the same four (actually, three) notes repeated over and over and over, and I totally get why so many folks hate it--I used to be one of those folks.  That is, until I heard the Robert Shaw Chorale's first RCA recording, at which point I realized, "Hey, this is music!"  Superb music.  Performers who don't feel like doing it correctly, or who can't read more than one line of music at a time, or whatever, should jump down a well rather than debase this choral classic.  Just a kind, cheery suggestion for the season.  Remember--three more days!!




14 comments:

Bryan said...

Hi Lee, thanks for the post. Nice to hear "all" these versions. Encluding The Twelve Days of Christmas and Up On the Housetop. Reminds me of having sung for our mothers in a first-grade class recital.

Bryan said...

Hi Lee, an update... Love the song "Sing a Kris Kringle Jingle". Reminds me of a Rankin-Bass type of song. "La Dee Dah" and "Love Is Strange" is odd to be on a Kiddies record. Oh, I never realized that "Love Is Strange" is a clean way to talk about sex? It is, is it not? And the line, money in the hand, is to me about prostitution? I guess hearing it on a Kiddies record has me thinking other thoughts...

Ernie said...

Hey Lee, great post here, lots to unpack...

Funny thing, I've been working on a couple of songs from June Winters, recorded as The Lady In Blue for Mayfair and later Mercury. Some labels seem to credit her by name, some as just The Lady In Blue. And then some mention Hugh E. Perette, others say Hugo Peretti, So I kinda figured they were the same person... (Sorta like Robert DeCormier, was sometimes the less-ethnic sound Bob Corman) Hugo did a lot of production work, both by himself and later as Hugo & Luigi, but I'm sure you know that. But do you think they are both the same person? Seems too similar to be a coincidence...

Ernie said...

Oh, sorry, I knew there was something else I wanted to mention. That cover for The Joyous Season was reused by Pickwick for a Walter Schumann reissue of his Capitol Christmas album. Are you surprised? :)

https://www.discogs.com/The-Voices-Of-Walter-Schumann-The-Christmas-Voices-Of-Walter-Schumann/release/1590776

Diane said...

Wow, another encyclopedia chapter of cool facts and suppositions. (They aren't the same thing yet, are they?) Those Peter Pan labels are super-swell, too. Thanks.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Bryan,

I wouldn't be surprised if "Love Is Strange" is about sex. The probability is high. Which raises the question of why they'd even think to release it on the Peter Pan label, let alone with holiday labels. Maybe they accidentally swapped releases that were meant for their Prom or Promenade labels.

Ernie,

You're right! https://www.bsnpubs.com/mercury/mercury/01-78s-45s/01mercury-78.html See entry A-89. That should have occurred to me, too, but I guess I was too busy with other details. And I'm shocked--shocked!--that Pickwick would reuse a cover! Pickwick, of all labels. And I've somehow never run across any of June's "Lady in Blue" sides. As you likely know, she formed the Mayfair label with Hugo. Not related, I'm sure, to Pickwick's Mayfair label, which recycled Tops LPs (chopping off two tracks per LP).

Diane,

Any day now, facts and suppositions will be the same thing, yes. They'll have the same definition at Merriam-Webster. Yes, those Peter Pan labels are delightful, aren't they? I wish I could find my "Sleigh Ride" sleeve for a better scan, but of course it was not in the 45 carrier where I was certain it would be.

Ernie said...

Nice spot, Lee, on the Hugo/Hugh callout. Now I have to figure out is the Lady In Blue sides that don't specifically call out June Winters are actually her or a ripoff. And I didn't know the two of them started that label. There's always new stories to learn, aren't there? :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

There are eight million stories in the naked blogosphere. Yes, the amazing thing about the recording biz of the past is how people went from zero-budget labels to major ones, and (sometimes) back again. Sort of like the movie industry, where Oscar-winning actors spend ten years co-starring in junk horror films (Martin Landau, for instance). TCM recently showed a major studio promo film with Lyle Talbot introducing major stars. Talbot, of course, went on to play in some of Ed Wood, Jr.'s Grade Z classics.

stephen_pomes said...

Lee, this looks like an interesting collection of recordings. I remember having Peter Pan records as a child, although I don't think that I had any of the Christmas recordings. Unfortunately, the link isn't working. Is there any possibility of re-uploading these recordings? Thanks -- Steve

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Stephen,

The link should be working now--re-uploaded these. Occasionally, links go bad on Workupload, and I'm not sure why. Probably happened this year when the site went down for about a day. But the upload is back--enjoy!

stephen_pomes said...

Thanks for reposting the link. I downloaded the file, and I'm looking forward to adding them to my Christmas music collection

By the way, I happened upon some Pickwick entries on Internet Archive. One struck my eye, a Christmas choral recording led by film and television composer Walter Schumann. I was familiar with Schumann's theme for "Dragnet," but I was completely unaware of his choral recordings. Despite some frequent pops and crackles on the recording posted on archive.org, this is my type of Christmastime listening.

Apparently, Pickwick reissued an earlier Christmas choral recording from the Capitol label, and they used the same cover photo that Pickwick used in their "Joyous Season" album.

Thank you again for reposting the recording. I always enjoy your posts and music shares.

Steve


https://archive.org/details/lp_the-christmas-voices-of-walter-schumann_the-voices-of-walter-schumann/disc1/01.01.+Christmas+In+The+Air%3B+Jingle+Bells%3B+Silent+Night%3B+Carol+Of+The+Bells%3B+White+Christmas%3B+Patapan%3B+Ave+Maria.mp3

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks, Stephen!

And I didn't know the link was out of service until the re-up request. The link must have gone bad during a Workupload outage that occurred mid-2021. Fascinating reuse of the cover by Pickwick--thanks for the link. I believe (not positive) that my LP dates from the period when Pickwick took to reissuing back-catalog items from Capitol, Dot, and other labels. I remember when the Beach Boys catalog was out of print, and Pickwick put out all those cut-rate reissues--I used to own every one of them. It seems that Pickwick is best known for its major-label reissues--and for its cut-rate sound-alike LPs of the late '60s/early '70s, which for some reason don't seem to show up that often. Thanks for dropping by!

stephen_pomes said...

I always enjoy your audio discoveries. Thanks again for posting. I hope you and your family are enjoying the Holiday Season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Steve

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Steve,

Thank you! Best wishes to you, too!