Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Happy New Year! From Mark 66 (Phillips 66--White Christmas)











I didn't think I'd be pushing it so close.  Here's a this-side-of-the-border George Garabedian Christmas, with an excellent singer who isn't named.  She could be Julie Andrews (though I doubt it) or Patti Page (nah).  I don't know who she is.  Neither did producer George Garabedian, apparently.

That has to be Walter Brennan on the first track, though--The Birth of Christ.  If I had time to look it up, I would.  But I don't.  Fun tracks, all.

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year!!  I have an entire six minutes to get downstairs and watch the ball drop....






DOWNLOAD: White Christmas (Mark 56 574)




The Birth of Christ
The Child Is Born
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
Silent Night
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Deck the Halls with Ivy
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Good King Wenceslas
White Christmas
Silver Bells

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, The mysterious female singer is Dorothy Collins. These tracks were pulled from her 1958 Everest Christmas LP. Alpha Beta Supermarkets released it again. Here is their Discogs info.
Dorothy Collins ‎– Alpha Beta Presents Great Songs Of Christmas
Label:
Mark56 Records ‎– 547
Discogs have Dorothy's info too of course.
As a teen, Alpha Beta was our market of choice. Bryan

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Bryan--

Thanks! I wonder how Mark56 got the rights.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, Since I do not know or am as knowledgeable about record companies as you are, I can only think. Dorothy Collins I am guessing was only popular on I think Your Hit Parade TV series and pushing I think cigarettes. So the few LP'S she made could not be major releases. Coral and Everest Records? I only heard about her from YouTube and bought her Christmas LP as an mp3 dirt cheap on Amazon.de. Anyway, as these tracks were up to ten years old, maybe less, they were probably happy to get a bit of cash for them. She does have a nice voice though. But I find it interesting that Alpha Beta released the whole LP and Phillips 66 Gas Stations released only 8 tracks on the LP. From the two Christmas LPs, we had at home, and similar LPs Earnie (Not Burt) shares, these usually seem to contain only 1 track each from 10-12 stars of the day? So really interesting. Bryan