Sunday, September 05, 2021

Sunday morning gospel: The Sego Brothers and Naomi--Satisfied With Me (Songs of Faith 103; 1961)

 



The superb Sego Brothers and Naomi return, though I was planning to post a group called the Glorylanders.  However, I got my files mixed up (easy to do, since they're not labeled when I export them into MAGIX), and so... here's a second helping of this superb gospel quartet, this time on Spar's Songs of Faith label.  And, thanks to Paul Urbahns, who manages the excellent Facebook page Hit Records of Nashville, I finally understand what a "compatible record" is, at least in the case of Spar.  Such albums and singles were made with a cutting head that produced a groove which could be played by both a stereo and mono stylus/cartridge.  In short, wide enough so that a mono needle wouldn't rip out the vertical portion.  This was a big money saver for Spar, since it meant that the outfit didn't have to manufacture separate mono and stereo editions.  How about that?

And this 1961 effort is compatible, so it says on the cover--except, I could hear no stereo when I played both channels.  A feeble kind of "fake" stereo, maybe, but the sound was much improved when I summed the channels.  So I strongly suspect this wasn't stereo to begin with.  I debated whether or not I should reduce the bass, which is quite pronounced, but bass is very difficult to tweak properly--so I just kept things as they are.  Anyhow, great selections throughout, including that mystery number, That Heavenly Home, which I've written about before in regard to versions by The Looper Trio (as My Heavenly Home), The Prophets Quartet, and... this group (in my "Favorite gospel tracks, Part 7" post).  This group's version of There'll Be Shouting is also making its second appearance, but I believe the rest are first-run tracks for the blog.  Best of the bunch may be the wonderful a cappella rendering of the folk hymn I Will Arise and Go to Jesus (here called I Will Arise and Go to Thee).  And there are the usual irresistibly bouncy tracks, like I'll Live in Glory, That's Enough to Know (on the label, simply Enough to Know), and Uncloudy Day (aka, Unclouded Day), the last title credited to "Traditional," though it was written in 1879 by Josiah Kelly Alwood (Thanks, Cyber Hymnal).  A fabulous collection, even if there's no stereo to be heard, "compatible" or otherwise.

According to the liner notes, this was the group's first album--and a quick Discogs check seems to confirm this.  So, it was Spar that premiered this group.  Cool!

To the gospel...

UPDATE: Please let me know if you're having problems with the Workupload download.  The past two files have given my Chrome "safe browsing" feature fits--they've been tagged for containing viruses.  Josh reports the same experience.  Anyone else having this issue?  A quick solution is to temporarily disable the "safe browsing" setting, but I can understand why some folks would be hesitant to do this.

Here's today's offering at Box.com: https://app.box.com/s/na6z5h7u8t9ffpxjxxpiocyc8jyiqogh


DOWNLOAD: Satisfied With Me--The Sego Brothers and Naomi (1961)


I'll Live in Glory
That Heavenly Home
I'm Going There (J. Wetherington)
Uncloudy Day (Alwood)
Satisfied With Me
A Saviour to Be Proud of
It's Different Now (Beatty)
Enough to Know
Just a Closer Walk With Thee (Trad.)
There'll Be Shouting (Barlett)
Beyond Tomorrow (I. Stanphill--not "Stamphill")
I Will Arise and Go to Thee (Trad.)


Satisfied With Me--The Sego Brothers and Naomi (Songs of Faith 103; 1962)



Lee

10 comments:

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
I've tried to download this folder twice (got it on vinyl and tape 'round here somewhere, good stuff), but both times, my PC says, this file contains a virus or malware. Just thought you'd like to know. Getting ready for church, so talk to ya later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Josh,

Darn--it's doing the same thing to me. Sorry about that. I had to temporarily turn off the "Safe Browsing" feature in my Google Chrome settings to get it to download. This problem only started recently--past Workupload files are fine. I don't know what's going on.

The last thing I need is to have to switch hosting services. Mega routinely blocks my stuff, even though others have no trouble with it. Darn.

To my readers: Is anyone else having this issue?

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Tried it in Chrome and got the same results. I don't want to disable any safe feature and risk my PC getting bugged, just do have an album, if I can help it. Nothing against you at all, I'm sure you understand. Considered Box again, or Dropbox? Maybe Google Drive? Just throwing things out there, which you may have already thrown them out the other direction LOL! Fixin' to eat Sunday Dinner, take a short nap, then heading to our church's Tent Meeting (closing service), so 'til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Josh,

No offense taken! And I've been considering Box.com as one of my options. I'm waiting to hear from some more folks about this, because I'm curious as to how widespread this is. And, weirdly enough, on this upstairs PC (which has Chrome as the browser), the file is getting that security notice, whereas the file downloads just fine on the other desktop in the house, which also has Chrome. Very strange.

Yes, I may have to ditch Workupload, unless it's a temporary glitch. It's only happened to me with the last two uploads. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about it!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Josh,

And I just uploaded today's offering to Box.com:

https://app.box.com/s/na6z5h7u8t9ffpxjxxpiocyc8jyiqogh

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Could it have something to possibly do with, the estimated file size (what they tell you it is when downloading) being 66.6 MB? In the words of Tom Armshaw (a former radio station owner/announcer from back home), just a thought, but one worth considering. I'd be interested in this album in MP3, after all this gets figured/straightened out, BTW! Oh and if this is indeed the group's first album, wonder what that does with my year of their first recording of Sorry, I Never Knew You, being 1959? I heard one place, that they released the single, then the album, something uncommon in those days. I believe The Statesmen recorded it first (actually, I believe on their Through The States live album), then they got it. I know they changed it a little, in the music and lyrics. They recorded it like four times total, with the main writer, Henkle Little (co-writer being a fellow by name of Branch, can't remember his first name) recording it once, with his own group, Henkle Little and the Sons of Faith, maybe Daughters in their too. Enough of my rambling, need to eat a bit, then edit/tweak tonight's MP3, recorded by my trusty rusty digital recorder, Ol' Reliable LOL! 'Til later, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

A man for whom Christ died said...

Just got it, thanks! Seeing the track list, makes me wonder something. Did they reissue this album, 'cause I believe I remember I Will Arise And Go To Jesus (Thee) being the first cut on the album I have of it. Ever since I first heard that song (particularly, that version), a little over twenty-three years ago, while traveling through southwest VA, I've loved it! It was at the end of a preacher's broadcast, out of Bluefield, VA, the late Oden Lockhart, here's his obit.

https://www.bdtonline.com/evangelist-oden-e-lockhart/article_4dbcc944-132d-5037-ad31-7eb60c7286d1.html

He's a Saviour To Be Proud Of, was recorded later by The Lamar Sego Family (pretty self-explanatory there LOL), but the oldest recording I know of it, is The Blackwood Brothers, the other side of a 78 they did, Looking For A City. That make any sense? LOL! I have that record (out-of-faze) on a tape, 'round here somewhere. Still haven't worked on that MP3 yet, so going for now, again. Again and as always, thanks, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Josh,

Interesting suggestion. If this was a reissue, that could explain the lack of true stereo. 1961 does seem a little late for the group to making its LP debut, but who knows? Oh, and suddenly the Workupload file is downloading for me without any problems--I just tried it. No security warning. I suspect either a glitch in Workupload or Chrome. Or maybe it was cyber-gremlins!

Lee

A man for whom Christ died said...

Lee,
Glad I'm not the only one mixed up here, in regard to album/dates LOL! I can't find out anywhere, when they actually recorded Sorry first, but it's stuck in my head as '59. Oh and I used Firefox for the first few attempts yesterday, so it wasn't just Chrome. I keep going back to I Will Arise, such good stuff! Thanks again, love and prayin' for ya!

Romans 11:33-36 KJB

Josh
Podcast: http://www.jeremiah616.sermon.net
Phone Ministry: (563) 999-3967
Blog: http://www.brojoshowens.wordpress.com
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/preacher-friends

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

Muito obrigado irmão !!!