Wednesday, December 16, 2020

A gift from the King of Jingaling--The Shawnee Choir: Tidings of Joy (1975)




For once, I didn't have to do the rips!  Brad, the King of Jingaling, donated three ripped-and-scanned LPs to my blog, all by the outstanding Shawnee Choir (of the Shawnee Press, Inc.).  He asked if I would like to feature them, and I said "Sure."  I had posted a Shawnee Choir LP last year, and I had declared it superb, so I figured I'd be nuts to turn down the offer.  This is not to suggest that, by any rule of logic, that I'm necessarily sane because I accepted the offer (or as a result of accepting it), but... right.

And don't miss Brad's Line Material catalog scans at Falalalala.com--they're terrific.  So far, Brad has featured images from the 1956 and 1958 LM brochures, along with my LM record rips from those years. The images are charming, wonderfully "period," and--best of all--downloadable.  By the way, if anyone has the 1957 catalog, I'm sure Brad would love to hear from you.  

I just finished listening to the present offering--Shawnee's Tidings of Joy, from 1975--and it's first-rate in every regard.  I love hearing choral arrangements done right, and of course Shawnee would have wanted the best singers in town when it came to plugging its arrangements--and so it got them.  (I assume "reference recording" means "demo.")  One problem with this sort of record, though, is the chance that a group of amateurs might listen to performances on this level, and (not realizing their limitations), say, "Hey, we can sound like that!"  Then again, if it sells choir arrangements...

A delightful and stirring group of selections, and I think I'd better upload the zip (I knew I'd forgotten something).  Uploading helps immeasurably with the downloading part, I've found.

Two more Shawnee LPs to come, and thanks again to Brad.


DOWNLOAD: Tidings of Joy-The Shawnee Choir (1975)




lee

9 comments:

Ernie said...

Thanks Lee, and Brad, too! Wonderful stuff! Looking forward to the others in the series. I like complete series. :)

gimpiero said...

Great!

groovylounge said...

Thank you!

FYI, this download has the song titles tagged improperly.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Groovylounge,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll retitle and reorder them.

Ernie said...

Lee, the tags match the filenames, but I think that sides one and two got flipped somehow in the processing. I've done that before when I get in a hurry and don't listen to the tracks as I'm chopping them. I didn't listen to all of them closely, but that seemed to be the pattern here. No biggie. :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

I'm not sure what happened--things weren't flipped, exactly. Shuffled would be more like it. The titles were in order, but the tracks were staggered. The first track/title is correct, but the rest switch between the two sides, with Side A's tracks coming in at 1, 3, 5, etc. and Side B's coming in at 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. I don't know if some auto-numbering feature malfunctioned, or what.

I got your "no biggie" comment too late--I already corrected things! A complicated process, especially since Windows 10 wouldn't let me copy and paste the label and cover folder. I have no idea why it wouldn't, but I got around that glitch. Everything is in order now.

Brad R-M said...

My bad. I should have paid more attention to my ripping. I think I was in machine mode at that point, doing lots of rips and just on auto pilot.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Brad,

I know how that goes--no problem! Once I caught on to how the sides had been swapped (from Side A to B), I just retitled and renumbered them. I think the worst editing SNAFU I committed was with an entire "project" (MAGIX's name for collection) of tracks whose start times got clipped. I must have moved one of the files during editing, and this threw off the track markers. There's a function that allows me to splice all the tracks at the marker positions, but I occasionally forget to do that. Before going from WAV to mp3, I always check first to make sure every track is in its proper place!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Brad,

By the way, it appears that the tracks were literally shuffled--A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3, etc. My MAGIX program auto-numbers things, which is good, because I know I'd botch the sequences, otherwise.