Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Yet more Christmas 78s, Part 2!--David Rose, Art Mooney, Gennett Sound Effects, New Temple Quartette, Bläserchor



I'm still here.  I think, anyway.  (I think, therefore I'm here.)  Three days away from the internet--a situation I handled with unusual maturity (to my surprise), then back home, and with my allergies running on high.  So I'm like Uncle Joe on Petticoat Junction--movin' kinda slow.  You may wonder why I'd be having allergy issues at a time when pollen has left the air, but there are other things in the air that can cause sinus issues.  Mold, for one.  Also, wonky weather--with fronts moving in from all angles--is the enemies of sensitive sinuses.  We sinus sufferers can't win!

But we're not here to talk sinuses--we're here to talk Christmas shellac.  Actually, we're here to listen to it.  We start with some amazing, almost hi-fi fidelity on David Rose's wonderful Christmas Medley from 1949, for which I combined both sides into a single file.  I'm 99.9 percent sure Rose was the arranger, and, as far as Handel as composer of the Joy to the World melody, this was long accepted to be the case, but nowadays Handel scholars say no--The tune (Antioch) is, in fact, by Lowell Mason, and the words, of course, are by Isaac Watts.  And, while the song is used to announce the coming of Christ, it's actually a Second Coming song.  I have a number of early-to-mid 19th century tunebooks, and second coming numbers were a big thing around the time of Mason's tune (1839).  The words are much earlier--1719.

Vom Himmel Hoch, my second-favorite melody by Martin Luther, appears in two versions in our playlist--first, in a brass ensemble version recorded in Germany around (just a guess) the late 1940s.  I could find zilch about the catalog number--not even in my 78 dating guide.  No year, either, for the (non-Columbia) Okeh label version sung in German by a "Christmas Chorus" with Orch. and Chimes (bells), though it's acoustical and likely 1919-ish.  The Okeh catalog no.--10097--refused to show up in any of my discographical resources.  I hate it when that happens.  The vocal version is really cool.  If Vom Himmel Hoch reminds you at all of A Mighty Fortress (also Luther), it's because of the identical closing cadence.

The Gennett Sound Effects series is from the 1930s, and apparently the Depression hurt Gennett sales to the point that the company spent the era supplying such 78s for radio stations.  Post-1930s, Gennett's sound effects series tanked.  My green label means a latter 1930s issue, though it could be a reissue of an earlier recording--I don't know.  The first side has four bands, all set up in that typical radio disc fashion--i.e., with no connecting grooves between the bands.  The tracks are Approach, Pass Recede; Approach and Stop; Riding in Sleigh; and Start and Recede.  So, if you've been forever searching for "Start and Recede" sleigh-ride effects, this is your lucky day. Side B is Horse and Sleigh (Continuous), so... yeah. The microphone for these effects must have been hand-held--in spots, you can hear the sound of the person's hand shifting.  The start-ups are kind of awkward, too.

We have to conclude that the turntables used in early radio could be cued for auto-starting.  Which means, of course, that they were electric.  Well, naturally.

And I skipped Art Mooney's 1949 Jingle Bells, which is delightful--it's in the vein of Mooney's I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover, with its energetic sing-along chorus from start to finish.  I love Mooney's postwar sing-along stuff, not only because it predates Mitch Miller, but because the singers don't have a polished, professional sound.  I hate it when, on TV shows and movies, a group of everyday folks sing in church, around the piano, or wherever, and they sound like studio pros.




I'm assuming the New Temple Quartette=The Temple Quartet, and I like the group's draggy, dead-serious style.  I wonder what Joy to the World would sound like, delivered by them in their slow fashion?  The two sides are U.S. and U.K. issues, and both appear to be from 1926, going by the matrix numbers.  I'm not positive, but nearly so.  We think (or I think) of carols as fast-tempo things, but it's cool how slowly numbers like Good Christian Men are taken on vintage discs.  No one was in any hurry, I guess.  We close with Leo Watson's 1946 bebop version of Jingle Bells on the Signature label.  My copy has had a lot of play, as you'll hear, but luckily the music is loud.  Enjoy!


DOWNLOAD:  Yet More Christmas 78s, Part II









Lee

12 comments:

UncleB said...

Um, hate to break (Gasp! A word one never wants used anywhere NEAR their precious 78s!) the news to you, but you are a bit early with these. Like 360 or so days... Some might say...

S'all good. It's been a weird year, so, no one will think anything's too amiss if I am heard blasting seasonal treasures grabbed in Lee Land a week or so "after"... (What I won't bother explaining to them is that there are "Twelve Days of Xmas"...)

Have a Safe & Sane 2021.

Or, as others have been saying.....:

"New year, PLEASE!"

Lee Hartsfeld said...

UncleB,

Ha! I like "New year, PLEASE!" A great 2021 to you, too. And not only can I claim I'm honoring the twelve days of Xmas, I can also cite the Julian calendar, where Christmas happens on January 7. I can also say I'm observing Christmastide. In my denomination (UMC), that starts on the 24th, so that gives me until, um... January 4th. I may go with the Julian calendar.

Ernie said...

Glad you're keeping the holiday going, Lee. Good selection of stuff, and well worth a listen. I think Art Mooney put out enough Christmas singles over the years for a whole album. Someone should collect all those up and make an album.

Craftypants Carol said...

Thank you so much for all your awesome shares, Lee! I hope you had a great xmas and have a really good new year!!

Diane said...

I love it! I'm wearing my Christmas socks, eating Christmas cookies, and listening to Christmas music. I don't get these folks who go crazy for Christmas beforehand, then dump the tree and music the very next day, like "Well, that's over." We extend the season through the 1st and beyond. Merry merry to you, Lee!

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

Thanks, and an Art Mooney Christmas collection sounds wonderful. Mooney's brand of happy sing-along music didn't go over well with the critics of his day, but then few of the postwar pop music trends seemed to please the reviewers of the time. I love his stuff--his band had the perfect touch for novelty numbers. On a par with Freddy Martin.

Craftypants Carol,

Thanks for the nice words, and my Xmas was very nice (despite the local snowfall!). You have a great New Year, too!

Diane,

I totally agree--the whole experience of "the season" can't be called to a sudden halt once the 25th has ended. Or it shouldn't be, anyway. On TV, Christmas is a car-worship festival, but in everyday life, it's a celebration of the commonplace, the ordinary, the everyday. All of those things become holy, or special. I think nearly everyone, religious or no, feels that holy aspect. And most of us aren't eager to let go of that feeling.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

And Merry merry back to you, Diane! I forgot to mention Chritsmastide, which my church (UMC) observes, or at least is supposed to. It goes Dec. 25-Jan. 5, so it offers the perfect excuse to keep blogging. And the twelve days of Christmas end on Jan. 6, or Epiphany. To me, the Nativity story includes the three kings--taken as a single narrative, that is.

rev.b said...

At this point, I'm filling up the Xmas 2021 folder for next year, so much appreciated.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Rev. b,

It's not over until the "Season of Audi" ads stop! Happy (almost) New Year!

Ernie said...

Lee, don't forget Happy Honda Days and Toyotathon! Everyone wants in on the act!

UncleB said...

And further moe... Curly, Larry, Shemp, etc. . . .

"Take that, 2020!"

(This about says it all re. 2020 vs. 2021...):

("Goodbye 2020 Hello 2021" grafick):

https://i.etsystatic.com/23867923/d/il/f64cde/2742420900/il_340x270.2742420900_jjiq.jpg?version=0

Lee Hartsfeld said...

UncleB,

LOL! Great meme. That definitely says it all...