Saturday, December 18, 2021

A Cozy Christmas--The New Songs of Bob Ashton: Ralph Carmichael Singers and Orchestra (Cooper Tires/Stylist SA 400; 1967)

 


Another entry in the modern-carol songbook, with the style shifting from old-fashioned to (what was then) current and hip.  So, we get some traditional Bach/Palestrina-style voicings along with more "modern" harmonies.  Keeping in mind that "modern" harmony goes all the way back to composers like Erik Satie and Claude Debussy in the late 19th century.

Genuine stereo today--very spacious stereo, in fact.  Very definite stereo, you might say.  And I wasn't able (with a quick Google search) to track down who Bob Ashton is/was, since there are multiple Robert/Bob Ashtons in cyberland, but I did note that the Captain shared this years back, though his link has gone to the great url repository in the sky.

From 1967, apparently, and some swingin' stuff--in that 1967 jazz manner.  The compositions are very pleasant and fast-moving, and I especially like the re-harmonized O Little Town of Bethlehem, for which the Descant (a melody above the melody, basically) is credited to Ashton.  His Descant gives a whole new feeling to the harmonies.

And... it's cool to have the "Cooper Tires" edition.  A give-away, we can be sure.  Or something free with two fill-ups, maybe.  "Want me to check the oil?  You get a free Christmas LP."  "Yeah, that'll be great!"  The Ralph Carmichael Singers are the best ever, as ever.  I love the way they were able to seamlessly slide between secular and sacred material.  They could sound like a first-rank church choir or (a big group of) backing singers for Tony Bennett.

Christmas Shopping is a fun number, and it's nice to have a holiday song devoted to this theme, though I was expecting a more harried pace, and more of an emphasis on the pressures of the hunt. But it's all calm and beauty and peace.  No stress.  Just like in real life.  A Christmas Alleluia has a nice jazz-in-church feel, and It's Cozy and Warm Inside will take you right back to... hey, 1967.  Coincidence?  

Only two traditional numbers in the bunch, with a nice "period swing" to most of the numbers (a phrase I just now made up).  I Googled "period swing," and up popped entries about pendulums.  Oh-kayyy.

A fine thrift gift from Diane.  As ever, thanks, Diane!


DOWNLOAD: A Cozy Christmas--Ralph Carmichael Singers and Orch. (Stylist SA 400; 1967)


It's Cozy and Warm Inside (Ashton)

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear (Sears-Willis)

Christmas Tree (Ashton)

A Miracle on Christmas (Ashton)

A Carol for Peace (Ashton)

I'll Spend Christmas Without You (Ashton)

O Little Town of Bethlehem (Brooks-Redner; Descant by Ashton)

A Christmas Alleluia (Ashton)

Christmas Shopping (Ashton)

Why Was Our Saviour Born (Ashton)


A Cozy Christmas--Ralph Carmichael Singers and Orchestra, Stylist SA 400; 1967)


Lee


4 comments:

Mac said...

What a great little record there, love the swingin' Ralph Carmichael singers - and a class band backing them here - some new songs - well done and a nice find and share

Happy holidays to you sir and thank you for all that you do to keep these spinning disks out there

Mac

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Mac,

Thanks! Happy holidays to you, too.

Diane said...

I ran into a couple Ralph Carmichael LPs while out thrifting today -- can't remember if I picked them up, though. Will look through my haul, and if I find 'em, they're yours, Lee. Thanks for this one!

Bryan said...

Hey Lee,
I was listening to this one on my mp3 player today. It reminded me of listening to the Conniff, Faith, or Mancini singers. I once read somewhere on the web that these singers made the rounds, for recording purposes that is, on various records. But it said each group had a few special singers of their own. The rest being shared background singers I guess. I never can remember where I find this stuff I read. You know how it is.
Again also thanks to Diane.