Sunday, December 19, 2021

Christmas... Back Home in Indiana--The Bill Gaither Trio (Heart Warming R3197; 1972)

 


A superbly produced LP from 1972, featuring the The Gaither Trio, a praise music outfit I love, despite my not being a praise music fan in general.  Remarkably, this was not a gift from Diane, despite the Indiana theme, and despite the fact Diane has sent me a good number of Gaither albums.  (I almost typed "vinyls."  Saints preserve us!)  Good for my spell checker--it doesn't recognize "vinyls" as a word.  As it shouldn't.

A number of standard Christmas hymns/carols, plus the always welcome C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S (Jenny Lou Carson/Eddy Arnold), a spirited rendition of The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy, and a Gaither original, Redeeming Love, which is joined to Hark the Herald Angels Sing.  I suppose Redeeming Love is a bit cliched--even a little maudlin--but it works quite well in that unique Gaither way.  Gaither's stuff is fun, even when it's corny.  Everything is so superbly musical.

And a very nice Allelujah, plus a very brief but lovely O Come, O Come Emmanual (half a stanza), which has never been my favorite advent hymn, but which, in this case, I wish had been extended.

The second original Bill and Gloria Gaither number is the spirited anthem King of Kings, which skirts the edge of maudlin, but which succeeds nicely, because... well, because it's offered in the best Gaither fashion.  These talented folks simply can't do wrong by me.  Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD:  Christmas... Back Home in Indiana (Heart Warming R3197; 1972)


We Wish You a Merry Christmas

The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy (Caribbean Trad.)

Sleep, Baby, Sleep (Slaughter)

What Child Is This?

The First Noel

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Luke II (King James version)/Silent Night (Mohr-Gruber)

Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Wesley-Mendelssohn)/Redeeming Love (Gaither/Gaither)

C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S (Carson-Arnold)

Allelujah

12/24/69 (Moore-Powell)

O Come, O Come Emmanual/O Little Town of Bethlehem (Brooks-Redner)/Joy to the World (Watts-Mason)

One Little Manger (Powell)

King of Kings (Gaither/Gaither)


Christmas...Back Home in Indiana--The Bill Gaither Trio (Heart Warming R3197; 1972)


Lee

6 comments:

Bryan said...

Hey Lee,
Well, well, well...
While Vinyl is correct, more and more people are using Vinyls.
Yes, Grammarly and Edge say no. But as in everything, Vinyls will one day make it into the Dictionary. So many things do. You can check this out.
https://www.quora.com/Is-vinylsa-real-word

Bryan said...

Hey Lee,
No, I do not use the word Vinyls myself.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Bryan,

As you know, common usage determines whether a word ends up in the dictionary or no. Or whether or not definitions change. So, if the word survives, and people keep on using it, it'll become "correct" at some point. I'm in no hurry, though! Sounds like you're not, either.

Bryan said...

Hey Lee,
No, I am not in any hurry. Of course, I do not use the word videos either, only because I do not have them? I guess these were the old tape versions? I have DVDs, but personally, I do not call them videos. Both the words videos and vinyls just sound odd to me. They seem not to be perfect English words to me that is. But then I am not perfect. As a Capricorn I try to be, but, oh well.

Diane said...

"Vinyls" sounds to me like something said by a late-coming hipster trend follower. (Says the always-been-there fan who grew up with them as her main source of music.) They are records to me, or maybe albums or LPs, or even discs. But "vinyls" also *looks* wrong.

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee! I collect records. They are made of vinyl. 'Nuff said.