Friday, December 10, 2021

Santa and the Touchables/North Pole Rock (1961)--Dickie Goodman


 

Dickie Goodman's records are dumb--stupid at times, even.  They're also hilarious and very expertly done.  Dumb humor is a type of humor, and no one had Dickie's knack for same.  Partly, it was his genius for using song snippets on his "break-in" discs--an early kind of sampling.  It may sound like something anyone with a tape splicer can pull of in twenty minutes or less, but I've heard a number of imitation-Goodman "break-in" discs that simply don't work.  I've heard some that are flat-out terrible.  There was an art to making these things, and Goodman had mastered it.

"The Touchables," of course, refers to the Robert-Stack-as-Eliot-Ness TV series The Untouchables, and the whole plot of Ness (or Press) rescuing Santa Claus from the Moon (where he has been kidnapped by Moon Men) is typical Goodman insanity.  Totally pointless, and little more than an excuse to insert song snippets, but so ingeniously timed and relentlessly silly, it's worth several listens--or more.  I don't know why Goodman's sides are so funny--I'm just grateful he made these things.



DOWNLOAD: Dickie Goodman (Rori R-701; 1961)



Santa and the Touchables--Dickie Goodman

North Pole Rock--Dickie Goodman and the Polar Bears

(Rori $-701; 1961)



Lee


3 comments:

Geordie said...

This is really good. Both sides.

Buster said...

I loved Goodman's greatest hit, "The Flying Saucer," when I was a kid. I suspect I'll like this one, too!

Ernie said...

Thanks, Lee!